Do not like the visuals of the new update
  • Have to say that I do not like the new icon. What is that, a gun sight? The old icon was bright and easily visible, which to me, an emergency service related item should be. This new one gets lost in the sea of other icons on my phone. It's like painting a brush truck in camo so the other responding units can't find it.

Also, it looks like you had a contest to see how may different fonts/styles/colors you could come up with. Black, blue, gray, serif, san-serif, bold, etc. etc. etc. I'm not talking about the different themes, I'm talking about within a single theme.

Other than that, the app has been very useful (other than the occasional incorrect routings).

Sorry to be so negative but the poor ascetics of this update outweigh any functional changes (where there any?)
  • I agree, I submitted feedback on this. If your dead set on changing the font, please please give us the option to revert to the old font. So much easier to read while responding. 
  • I updated all of our iPads on our engines and have only heard complaints back (like it was my doing) from our line staff. Most people do not like the new Icon design. Gets lost with all the other apps. The old design stood out way better. I think it’s a maltese they were going for but truly failed at that.
  • Thanks for the feedback! So we went with a logo that was clean and simple looking. It is based off of a maltese cross, but we didn't want it to look exactly like that so that it would still work for all responders. We did do some user testing with the fonts and actually got a lot of positive feedback, but that being said we will look into using Apple's default fonts. 
  • I don't like the new Icon either. EMS gets dispatched more often than FD's so why change something that is not broke? Stick with what you had and maintain your brand identity.
  • Our guys are complaining the font is to thin to see at 2am. It would be nice to toggle to other fonts. I two prefer the old logo with brighter colors.
  • @Wayne F.  I get this kind of complaining for apartment complexes when google or active 911 maps can't find an address which is a common problem. The first think I hear is YOUR system sent me to the wrong place as if I invented Google Maps. lol   
  • @Mattd we are working on improving the font in the next version. Thanks for letting us know.
  • I agree that the new font is terrible at 02:00. Trying to read it in the dark is next to impossible. If I have to read the address, I'm likely to end up in a ditch or into oncoming traffic. This is a huge problem that never should have been released.

Also, the latest release seems to be a huge battery drain. My phone usually lasts over a day with moderate usage. In 8 hours, my battery is down to 38% with Active911 at the top of the battery usage list. It's kept my phone awake for almost two hours and kept the GPS on for about 6 1/2 hours and this is running in the background! What gives?

The developers need to understand what we use their app for and how much we depend on our phones for communication. I can't recharge my phone every 8 hours! In recent days, Active911 seems to have become user hostile. I don't think that they actually tested the update before releasing it.

Screenshot_20180313-154450.png
    1080 x 1920 - 168K
    Screenshot_20180313-162853.png
    1080 x 1920 - 150K
  • John - What version of the android app are you using? There were some issues with the most recent update that was released on 3/9/2018. We found some bugs within that version, and rolled the Android app back to the previous version on 3/10/2018. The rollback would have appeared as a second update within the Google Play Store. Did you install that update?

Based on your description, it sounds like you might be using some settings within the app that are causing the battery drain, specifically the "Background GPS" option. Do you have that setting enabled? I recommend following the link below to read our most recent blog post about the difference between Background GPS and Foreground GPS:

https://blog.active911.com/2018/03/training-thursday-what-is-the-difference-between-background-gps-and-foreground-gps/

On 3/13 you sent an email to our support team about the same problem, and I responded on 3/16. I apologize for the delay in my response. The ticket # for your submission is #2018031324001552. I've followed up within the same ticket with another email.

If you continue to have problems, I recommend giving us a call. When you call, you need to use a phone other than the one having problems to call us. We are open 7am to 4pm PST Monday-Friday with an hour lunch from 11:30 to 12:30. At your convenience you can give us a call at (541) 223-7992.
  • The Battalion Blue theme was an improvement!
  • This application is used by EMS only and law enforcement agencies as well. In the county I work in, over 300 police officers have this on their phones for law enforcement only paging. It seems a little narrow sighted to create a logo that is 100% fire specific. Almost insulting to all the other users of the application that do not work for a fire department...  And, it's hard to see in a sea of application icons.  Sometimes, great companies have to admit when they made a bad decision and reverse direction... :-)
  • When is the new update rolling back out onto the Android operating system? When I previously had the update, all the other problems people were mentioning, I didn't have trouble with at all.
  • Kyron P., the new version is in QA and we are working on getting it released again soon! We had quite a few people that had issues with it and we want to make sure those major bugs are fixed before we release it again.
  • You guys don't learn from your mistakes, do you? You've had people (including me) complain about your choice of font size in this update to the point where you have to roll it back, and the latest update (dated May 25, 2018) has the exact same problem. The address is the single most important piece of information on the alert page and you insist on putting it in the smallest font. Maybe you are young and can still read that font without glasses, but after age 45, this is very difficult at 03:00 if not impossible.

I'm a coder myself and if I kept making the same mistakes over and over again, I'd be looking for a new job.

• g0lden12, we rolled back the last update because of bugs in the system to where it was crashing for people and just not working at all, not because of the font size. We understand that there is an issue with the font size and will be addressing it in the next update. Thank you for letting us know and it will get corrected. 
  • I'm still waiting for the correction. When will it be rolled out? If you don't intend on fixing this, at least make the old version available so that I'm not using a dangerous product.
  • g0lden12, the new design has been sent to the developer to update. Once we get it to the open beta, we will let you know and you can download the beta from the Play Store.