Leaving A911 in the Foreground/Power Management
  • Hello all,

We have iPads dedicated to 5 of our trucks. During my initial research of Active911, I read that it is recommended to leave Active911 in the foreground (running and displaying the application) in order to ensure that mapping/location services were not interrupted. Does anyone know how much of a delay their is if you put the app in the background? Also, if you leave A91 in the foreground, I noticed that the backlight remains on and seems to discharge faster than the truck can charge it. My initial workaround for my guys will be to leave A91 in the foreground as instructed, but when the iPad is not actively being used, to manually lock the iPad so the screen turns off. Any ideas/input? 

Thanks,
    Andrew
  • We had to get chargers for the trucks that have a higher miliamp output to keep up with the GPS and backlight being active all the time.  Most chargers can't keep up.  I think we got Kensington ones - which are also very slim profile, taking up less room in the engine.

We found keeping A91 active is much faster than putting it in the background. It does sometimes take a bit to load calls if it was in the background for a while.
  • Our officers are instructed to close the app at the end of each run. That means hitting the menu button two times, then holding down the Active911 app icon until it wobbles, then tapping Active911 icon again. Even though we do this, the calls still show up as notifications so it is not completely shut down. 
    Gary Dillon, Firefighter/Active911 Admin.
    Crozet Vol. Fire Dept.
    Crozet, VA
    www.crozetfire.org
  • Gary, the app is actually completely shut down when you close it out like that. The calls show up from the data push on the next call. When you just tap the home button, it still closed the apps processes. The GPS is turned off at this point to save battery power as well. *The app will only report your location to other devices on the account if the app is running in the foreground, otherwise this feature is shutdown.*

On the charging issue, Chad is correct; you will most likely need a charger or power inverter rated for higher mA output.

Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
    https://www.active911.com/Contact
  • Tyler, thanks for the clarification.
    Gary Dillon, Firefighter/Active911 Admin.
    Crozet Vol. Fire Dept.
    Crozet, VA
    www.crozetfire.org
  • Below is a link to the specific charger we have been buying for our apparatus.  We like it for 2 reasons:
    1) It has 2.1 amps of output power which is able to charge it with the screen on / GPS / Mobile data...
    2) It is a very slim profile charger. We have very limited space in the front of our rigs and a large 12v charger sticking out was not working.

One issue we have run into...  Lots of our crew carry iPhones themselves and we find they keep unplugging the iPads to plug in their own devices to charge. This runs down the iPads pretty quickly.  You may want to invest in the dual port version giving you an extra output port.  Just make sure you have at least one 2.1amp port (or higher) on whatever you get.
  • I like my gadgets and being able to use them and charge them in my personal vehicles. Obviously this may not be an option for some, depending on what kind of authorization you have to work on your rig.

It is incredible easy to drop a small fuse panel into a rig. My brother was an emergency vehicle and pump mechanic and said that many mechanics can drop one in pretty quick. Most rigs even have extra slots built into the main fuse/relay box for inverters and such.

In my person rigs I have inverters wired in on their own fused lines from the main battery circuit. They allow me to run power to my tablet, laptop, multiple phones, and even an LED light strip.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
  • Okay, great information thank you.
  • Tyler.  You mentioned that the GPS will stop working if you hit the home button and "*The app will only report your location to other devices on the account
    if the app is running in the foreground, otherwise this feature is
    shutdown.*"

Does that mean if the program is running and in the foreground and you manually lock (or the phone automatically locks) then you will also not see those devices on the map?

Thanks.

Dean Chambers.
  • Yes, if the screen is off, the app is offline. If you are using the app to navigate to the call, the screen won't be off and not a problem. If you see a call, ignore it and put the phone back in your pocket after locking the phone, you need the app to shut off. It will drain the battery in about 2 hours if you leave it open and the GPS and data running full bore.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com