Webview issues on Windows 7 Toughbooks - random GPS and tracking
  • Looking for some trouble shooting advice.  We just deployed webview on 10 Panasonic Toughbooks running Windows 7. These have GPS chips in them and Verizon 3G/4G data cards.

What I have noticed:

1) We can not use Chrome. There seems to be no ability to pan a map with the touch screen in Chrome.  This does work in IE - though we can't pinch to zoom - should we?

2) GPS is almost useless.  Our units pop up on the map randomly and then go away.  If someone uses their Android or iOS device, they pop up on the map and stay. ALL of the webview clients come and go and when they are on the screen, they are usually off by a block or two from where they really are (the GPS is not accurate). Anyone having GPS issues with Webview specifically on Toughbooks?

3) On some of our Toughbooks, we are running New World CADs Mobile CAD (an MDT).  The GPS on that is accurate and tracks the vehicle in real time.  On that same Toughbook, the Active911 GPS does not work.  So, I don't think it is hardware related.  Software??

4) Can you get routing in Webview like you do in the iOS or Android version?
  • Anyone out there successfully using Active911 Webview on a Toughbook??  If so, what Windows version are you on and what browser are you using?

We are running Windows 7 with IE 11 and Chrome 34.0.xxx.  
    On IE 11, we can use our fingers to pan around the map (no inch to zoom).  But on IE, GPS will not track us. When we launch the app, it will mark our position but as we drive around, it will update GPS every 10 minutes or so. 

On Chrome, the GPS is slightly more reliable but there is no using the touch screen to pan around the map.

We have a MobileCAD software loaded on these Toughbooks that can also use the hardware GPS chip.  That is very reliable so I don't think this is a hardware issue.  We are turning off MobileCAD when we test out Active911 so nothing should be competing for the GPS data.

I've installed GPSGate at it finds the GPS hardware, but honestly I'm not sure how that can help us.

We are "attaching" our toughbooks to active calls.  That should put us on the screen and track us, right?  Works perfectly on our phones.
  • Think we have trouble shooted (shot?) the GPS problem...  Our Toughbook IT traffic flows through the town system over a VPN via the cell card.  No way around that.  The IT network, by policy, strips all outbound GPS data from the traffic.  So, Active911 has no idea where our vehicles are because we are stripping that data on purpose it seems.  Every now and again a packet seems to slip by with GPS data, mostly when we refresh the web page.

I can take my cell phone and it works great with Active911 when it is connected to Verizon. As soon as I attach it to the WiFi in our fire station controlled by the town IT department, I no longer show up on the map (or I freeze in my last known location).
  • Active 911 Webview is not designed for mobile use, ie - in tablets/toughbooks mobile. Webview will work at least for calls, if you have an always on solid connection - I use a sim card router, and then run Ethernet from the router to the computer. This is pretty solid, as long as you have a solid cellular connection. As for GPS it does not work well w/ moving computers in vehicles, etc. Google Chrome does not work touch wise as you said, properly- this is all known issues they are aware of. They are working on a Windows Native application for Active 911 that should be seen sometime this year they have told us. Hopefully that version works like the mobiles in the sense for GPS, and touch-screen compatibility issues in browsers currently. There's also no route view/directions w/ webview- as it wasnt designed to do that, but the upcoming Windows x86 OS native app should probably handle that as well.

Also Web view isn't designed to be disconnected randomly, so it won't reconnect properly at times with a mobile infrastructure on on a mobile computer/tablet - The upcoming native app for Windows should take care of this too, similarly to how our mobile phones work currently w/ Acitve 911. 
  • We (Active911) just bought a toughbook so we could do some testing and hopefully enhance webview GPS capabilities, while we are waiting on the PC app
  • That's great. Let us know how that goes , as we would love some kind of higher stability in the meantime. Also what about Google Chrome? Why isn't that working w/ touch devices properly? Google Maps webapi (maps.google.com) on the same computer works fine (can scroll with touch, pinch to zoom, etc), but Active 911 Webview does not allow you to pinch to zoom, or pan the map around.
  • I've looked into the Google Maps API we use and why the touchscreen events don't seem to be working.
    Some browsers reinterpret touch events as mouseclicks, or just pass the events into the page.

Chrome, however, seems to be intercepting the touch events to do things like go forward or back and zoom in/out the whole page.

I don't know why maps.google.com works, I'm guessing they put in a special exception that allows the touch events to go through or something.  I've been unable to find any documentation on how to get those touch events into the map.

If anyone knows a way to propagate the touch events, please let me know.
  • With this example code, using touch screens and panning the map w/ Google Chrome & Windows 8- and it works!
    (live test preview is included)

• Hmm, interesting, maybe we are accidentally blocking those events in some layer that I haven't looked at.  I will investigate further.