KML upload
  • Is there any way around the upload limit imposed by Active911. I have over 2000 Hydrants in our city and the KML file is 7.8 megs
  • Another thought that my help you find a solution to your issue:

go to http://www.zonums.com/online/kml2x/ , convert your KML to XLS , then edit the file and make smaller individual XLS's, then go to XLS -> KML converter here: http://www.mapsdata.co.uk/online-file-converter/

Upload each smaller KML separately to A911, and that should add all your data after you have completed each individual (and smaller) KML upload.

• Thanks for the help but I was not able to get my Hydrant data to upload.
    thinking it is a format issue. several different errors listed depending on the format used. One states "locations are 9173 miles from my city" At a complete loss. I have the KML files as stated would work (Fail) I then converted them to CVS (Fail).
    I'm trying to demo the software in order to give a recommendation to my Chief for implantation with terminals in the trucks and squads and access for all members. Adding Hydrant Data would be a huge selling point for the command staff.
  • Another option is take the .CSV example that A911 gives as a starting template, then copy/paste the long/lat of the hydrant locations the same way the template is made. If you can get the KML to XLS then you can easily export the data and paste it into the sample file, to make sure you are parsing correctly.

If Hydrants are that far away from their location they should mark, my thoughts are maybe you have the lat/long backward, try swapping the #'s around and see if that helps. 
  • If you convert the KML to KMZ (zipped) it will be much smaller and should be within the size limit.  The website will allow you to directly upload KMZ files.
  • KMZ files failed also
  • I think we just completed some work on the map data upload, and it should all be working very well.  If it's not working for you, email support and include a copy of your KMZ.  That way they can troubleshoot for you.
  • For anyone following this thread or searching in the future. I was able to accomplish the bulk upload eventually in what seemed like a long roundabout way. I feel it was most likely a format issue on my end, however better documentation and assistance from Active911 for the process would be helpful and appreciated. 
    Here are the steps I took that eventually brought success.
    Received .KMZ file from Water department
    loaded .KMZ file into Google earth and "saved as" a .KML file.
    uploaded .KML file into "KMLCSV Converter" which is a free program I downloaded online.
    I also downloaded OpenOffice and the OpenOffice template from Active911.
    In that spreadsheet I transfered the converted KML>CVS file into the proper format.
    -Heres the trick I stumbled upon that finally made it work
    I added a single row to the top of my spreadsheet. In that row I copy/pasted coordinates for a single random Hydrant from the Google Earth app. Make sure the Name - Description - LAT and LON are properly placed in their columns. After doing as described above my file was accepted and now my map is populated with all 2807 hydrants located within my city.
    I hope this helps anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation. 
  • Ben, I'm glad you got it figured out.  If you get a chance, you should still submit your KMZ to support so they can figure out why it wasn't accepted and maybe save other people some pain.

• I'm not sure if my issue is related or not, but I just started having issues with uploading KML files. It has worked several times before. It's not a size issue (7kb). Did something recently change with regards to uploading KML's?
  • Update: I found a bug with the KML upload today, so it has not been allowing some uploads Since April 1.
    All KML uploading should work properly now.
  • I am having a problem uploading a KMZ file with Hydrant data. I am able to upload, but receive the following error: "Caution: Could not retrieve your uploaded map data". Afterward, I was able to see the Hydrant symbols. But only the coordinate data shows when I double click on the hydrant icon. Further, the icons do not show up on the Active911 map.
    Thanks for any help
  • John, it looks like you were working with Jamie on our support team regarding this today (Ticket#2018012724000343). Was she able to take care of the issue for you?
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
    https://www.active911.com/Contact