• Now that the new IOS version is out, when will the ability to upload a full list of hydrants vice one at a time.

tks
    Steve
  • We are preparing a spreadsheet template right now. You will be able to import data into it to designate the name, icon type (hydrant, building, etc), color of icon, lat/long, and notes. When we are finished, we are planning on having an upload interface on the web console to allow you to upload them yourself.

We still need to balance work on this with work on the Webview, as the current configuration on Webview will clutter quickly like the iOS app did before the update.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
    https://www.active911.com/Contact
  • Under Map Data there is already a bulk upload link. Is this supposed to be here?
  • Another thing that would be great is to be able to export the map data.. I work in a regional center and we want to load map date from other towns into the mapping so if we go mutual aid our towns have other towns data as well. I would like to be able to load all the map data in for each town then export it and load it in another town.
  • How about using address data from our GIS department instead of Google Maps?  I'd really like to do an address lookup with our own GPS coordinates since they are much more accurate than Google is. Also, since we have a lot of new construction and new roads going in, Google is months to years behind in adding roads and houses.  Our GIS department has that data entered before the house is built.  Can we either import that data eventually or do a real time link with our ESRI data?
  • Chad 

I think what you are talking about can already be done.. You just have to make sure your center is sending that information out with the Text page to Active911.. Under your department tab look for "Override mapping with GPS coords from your dispatch center" Turning that on will disable Googles addressing and use the GPS data given from your dispatch.. At least that was I think you are asking.
  • Also while I love the auto hiding of map data on the new release I would like to see the range adjustable. The current range works great for town with hydrants as they are usually only a block or two from one another. When it comes to rural areas without hydrants it has a problem. The range is to small to be able to find the closest water source because you have to zoom in to far before the map data becomes visible. Most of our town water sources are located a mile or two from one another and I would love to be able to adjust the range at which map data becomes viable on the map. Say you have if currently set to show map data when zoomed into 1/4 mile.. I would like to be able to increase that range to 1 or 2 miles for our rural area so we can see the closes water source such as a pond or river. Just something I notice that may be an issue for others. 
  • Justin, our dispatch center does not send out GPS coordinates, they only send a street address. Our town GIS department has GPS coordinates for all addresses but they are not linked to CAD. So, when Active911 gets a call now, it uses Google Maps to get the GPS coordinates from the address sent by CAD, right? I'd like Active911 to use our GIS database to match the address from CAD with GPS coordinates from GIS since they are more accurate than Google Maps. Once the GPS coordinates are obtained, placing that point on Google (or Apple) maps is easy.

I can upload a file of addresses and GPS coordinates to Active911 or, ideally, Active911 has a link into our ESRI database maintained by GIS.
  • When can we expect this template. We were told this feature is coming out early 2013.. it's June..
  • Chad,

I don't work for Active but I would think the easiest way currently is to load your GIS info into your CAD and have your dispatch center send that information to Active911 with the text page. At least that's how our dispatch center is doing it. I could be wrong there may be a way to load GIS info into the Active911 system but we will have to wait and hear from someone from Active.
  • Justin, our CAD was written in the 60's it seems like.  It is still command line driven in DOS.  As much as I'd love our address database to be downloaded into CAD, it will never happen with this current CAD.  They just prolonged an upgrade for another 5+ years while they look into dispatch center consolidation.  At least the CAD can send out SMTP messages - that's more than our neighboring departments get.
  • OK guys, the bulk Map Data upload is in place.  It can't do KML files yet, [Update - KML is now working]  but it should import spreadsheet type data just fine.  See the help file for more info on this.

Regarding letting departments use their own maps.  Yes, we're planning on adding this feature.  The idea is to upload shapefiles and then see your own shapefiles instead of a Google Map or whatever.  I don't have an ETA yet but it's definitely in the plans.
  • Couple issues I've seen uploading the file.  Column one needs to match your current description (when adding a single item) which is Heading vice Name, which you have on the template.  The other, is row 1 is your header names, which the program is noticing when you try to upload, so its giving a locational error saying its so many miles from your agency and might be missing a minus sign...The file needs to begin upload on row 2.
  • We installed hydrants on the mapping. After the install when you mapped a call the whole map was covered with balloons. Is there a way to have something smaller or just the ones show on that street or area.
  • i corrected the problem....but now I've quadruppled all my hydrants...can my map data be all erased so I can start from scratch?
  • Tony, I am looking at your account and I only see a couple data points. Are you on other accounts with a different email. I want to check things out and see what you are seeing. You can pm me with details for the account you are referring to.

Steve, I can have the map data removed from your account to allow you to start over. I am not able to log in an edit the database right now, but I should be able to have someone do it within a couple of hours.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
  • Tyler,  Thanks...it was my mistake.  When the preview window came up and I clicked save, that window never went away so I was thinking nothing was happening but in reality it was uploading them every time i hit save.  Appreciate the work thats been done on this....
  • Tony, are you talking about Webview (being covered with balloons)?
  • I'm having terrible luck uploading hydrant data. I have a KML file with 1077 hydrants. When I upload it, Active911 tells me it found 1077 items. I click save, nothing happens. I click it again, nothing happens.  I then look at our agency in webview - some of the hydrants are there - about 25% of them appear. They also appear multiple times - looks like each time I hit "Save", it saved them.  But there are not 1077 hydrants on the map, no where close.

We already have lots of map data (pre plans, mile markers, etc) so I can't start from scratch.  I think hydrants needs to be a separate layer so we can manage all these thousands of data points separately from all our other mapping data.

We also need a way to batch delete and search our data. Now that I have 100+ pages of map data, it's a real pain to find a specific data point to edit.
  • Chad,
    Make sure you are uploading a csv file not the actual KML.... This being said, I am having similar issues with my agencies. When I upload a CSV file with approx 5000 items on it, clicking save does nothing. Clicking it again duplicates the data, but only some of it. Not all of the points upload, and some duplicate themselves.
  • According to Active911, KML files are now supported - but there appear to be some issues.  I'm sure Joseph and others are paying close attention to this and are working on it.  Very excited for this layer to be working!

Chad
  • Having an issue uploading some Vacant Structures using bulk upload and a CSV File. I continue to get this error: Row 6 of uploaded file has empty name (first column). Names/titles are required.

Row 6 is completely blank. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Carl
  • Carl,
    Try to remove row 6 by right clicking the row number and clicking delete. Save the file again and try the upload again.

Chad, 
    The issue I was having seems to be solved now. I changed all of the names in the first column to HYDRANT. Either the formatting of the names was acting up in its water company format (Water co had odd ID numbers in the name field) or Joseph and the others were working on the back end. Either way looks good now. 
  • Tried that multiple times. Also tried to add info to row 6 and it simply changes the error to say row 7.
  • Got it to work. I had the heading info in the first row missing.
  • Heya Chad (and everyone else using bulk uploads) - fixed a couple bugs today, one of them the one you described.  A server var was keeping Map Data points down to around 150 processed, even if you uploaded 1,000 or more.  It's fixed now.  Both KML and CSV should be working at this point without a problem.

If you had some problems with partial uploads, and need some of your data deleted, open a ticket with the support guys and we'll get it cleaned out for you.

I agree that we need a better way of searching besides paging through 100+ pages.  Maybe a search box would do the trick.
  • Joseph, your fix did the trick!  Waiting on support to delete all the hydrants so I can start over (submitted a ticket already).

A search box would be great. Would be nice to search on the name field as well as the description field.  

Perhaps even better is the ability to put hydrants in a "sub layer" of Map Data called "Hydrants" or "Water Supply" and then put in a "Select All" option so we can batch delete ourselves without touching existing map points that are not hydrant related.  I personally see lots of removing and re-adding hydrants, especially in the beginning... :-)

• My GIS department asked me what "projection" the hydrant data needs to be in for our CSV export.  She gave an example of "NAD83 Colorado StatePlane, Central Zone, FIPS 0502, US Feet  Projection: Lambert_Conformal_Conic".  This makes little sense to me but figured someone here would have an answer I could give her.
  • NAD27. They can use NADCON to convert NAD83 to NAD27. If they can't or don't want to bother, NAD83 shouldn't be that much different. NADCOM just uses error averaging to convert the data points over. If they are basing their coords off of imaging, they can use WGS84 as well. This is the same datum that is used for Google's imagery base. Either way, Google will convert it to their Plate Carree projection and that is what you see on your devices.

That should be nice an clear, right?

Probably easiest just to tell them that this is being used with Google Maps API. GIS people typically know what formats they usually send there.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
  • Tyler, I uploaded a few thousand points and they are not showing up. Is there a way to remove them all and start over?

Thanks

• Jim, we can delete the points for you, however we need you to submit this as a tech support ticket at https://www.active911.com/Contact. This allows us to track your issue specifically as it relates to your account.
    Active911, Inc
    support@active911.com
  • Several of our fire users are already using the Active911 application and it works fine for them.  We now are getting inquiries about it from Police users.  I have been testing it recently but running into an issue where we are sending both Lat/Lon and the address of the incident, but it won't map in the Active911 app.  I assume it is a parsing issue since the fire works fine because it is a page being sent as flat text, but because our CAD doesn't send dispatch pages to police users, we are attempting to use an in-house built web app that send the information, but it is currently enclosed in tags for links for other applications.  Oddly enough though it appears to be able to parse out the other info, just not the address.  Here is a sample of the tagged info

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">TEST CALL (TEST)
    <br><a href="http://maps.apple.com/?q=45.5368579351958%2c-122.860379216315"> 17911 NW EVERGREEN PK, BEAVERTON, OR (WCCCA 911)</a>
    <br>UNITS: 3905<br>INC: 131700577
    <br>DAREA: BV
    <br>MAP: 5285C
    <br>RD: 610101
    <br>BEAT/STATION: B1
    <br>http://maps.apple.com/?q=45.5368579351958,-122.860379216315&nbsp;

Thanks,

Joe S.

• Joe, that looks like a parsing issue all right.  Please open a ticket with tech support, and have them send it to Joseph (me) for a quickie parser (if they can't make any of the existing parsers work)
  • I have asked my GIS department for a hydrant layer export. It came as a WGS84 format and I can't upload that to Active911 without getting a location error.

My first few lines of hydrant data file look like:

NAME DESCRIPTION GPM PSI POINT_X POINT_Y
    HY1498 2100gpm @ 61 psi 2100 61 3086237.77 1695062.049
    HY1155 5700gpm @ 92 psi 5700 92 3077325.553 1703798.572

Two questions with this:

1) How can I convert all 1700 different  X/Y coordinates to something A91 can use?

2) Will columns other than "Name, Description, Lat, Lon" be ignored in the import?  I built a formula to combine our GPM and PSI columns into an additional column I labeled Name so we could tell both the static PSI and the GPM by clicking on the hydrant.  However, if I delete either of the "GPM" or "PSI" column from the file, it kills the formula that creates the "Name" column so I'm hoping those other extra 2 columns just get ignored.
  • Copy the columns that have the formula paste into notepad copy and paste back
  • Joe,

Any idea how long it'll be before someone can delete all the hydrants from our account?  Put a request in on Tuesday.

tks
  • Joseph,

Thanks for your reply.  I was actually able to handle a lot of the problem myself by getting the code we use to send out the alerts and was able to make the alerts look more like the paging text (and removing all the html) which appears to have remedied the problem on regular addresses, but intersections appear to be hit and miss.  We send the two streets separated by a slash "/".  We are also sending LAT/LON, so maybe if we set is to override the LAT/LON it will work, although the address still won't show correctly.

Joe

• I know this question was asked but I couldn't find an answer for it.  Since we have a lot of hydrants, when you view the map it looks like a big red blob...Is there a way for the icons to be small, whether the map is zoomed in or out, so the hydrants don't clutter the screen?  Thanks
  • Yes awaiting layers to be turned off on PC Web Viewer.  iOS app is fine as it only brings them up as you get closer.. But out PC view is the one that needs a filter. or... To turn them off.